Strawberries & Cream Swiss Roll
Time: 30 minutes plus cooling
Serves: 8 - 10
For the sponge:
4 Large eggs
110g Caster sugar, plus extra for dusting
1 tsp Vanilla extract
Zest of one lemon
15g Salted butter, melted
80g Self-raising flour
For the filling:
·300ml Double cream
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 -2 tbs Caster sugar
·200g Strawberry jam (soft set conserve)
Swiss roll tin 23x33 cm (9 x 13 inch) greased and base lined with baking paper
1. Preheat the oven to 190C conventional 170C FAN
2. Place the eggs, caster sugar, vanilla and lemon zest in a large bowl and whisk until pale, fluffy and thickened.
3. Whisk in the melted butter a little at a time.
4. Sift the flour over the mixture in three batches, folding into the mixture between each addition.
5. Pour the mixture into the lined Swiss roll tin and gently spread to fill the tin.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes until the sponge springs back when pressed. Do not overbake or the sponge will be tough and likely to crack when rolling.
7. While the sponge is baking place a piece of baking paper onto the work surface, and sprinkle with a thin layer of caster sugar.
8. When the sponge is ready run a knife around the edge to prevent sticking and turn the sponge out onto the prepared paper paper side up. Gently peel off the paper and with the short edge facing you roll up the sponge using the base paper to help you. Try to roll the sponge up quite tightly. Set aside to cool.
9. In a separate bowl place the double cream, vanilla and caster sugar and whip to soft peaks. Try not to over whip as it will be difficult to spread. Set some aside for decoration.
10. Thinly slice most of the strawberries, setting some small ones for decoration.
11. When the sponge is cold gently unroll it. Spread a thin layer of the jam over the sponge, top with sliced strawberries and spread a layer of whipped cream over the top.
12. Roll up the sponge, and trim the ends. Trimmings and any of the escaped filling are cooks perks!
13. Brush off any excess caster sugar and place on a serving dish.
14. Put the reserved cream into a small piping bag fitted with a star nozzle and pipe rosettes along top of the Swiss roll, add some strawberries and cut into slices to serve.