Serves: 8 - 10
Time: 1 1/2 hours plus cooling
Baking Sheet lined with non-stick paper
For the meringue:
· 120g Egg white (4 large eggs)
· 1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
· 240g Caster sugar
· 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
· 1 tsp Cornflour
For the spiced oranges:
· 100g Caster sugar
· 100g Water
· 1 Cinnamon stick
· 1 Star anise
· 3 Cloves
· 1 Large orange, sliced and cut into semi circles
· 50g Fresh Raspberries
· 300ml Double Cream
· 1 tsp Vanilla extract
· Caster sugar to taste
For the assembly:
· Fresh orange segments
· 200g Fresh Raspberries
· Bay leaves
You will need an baking sheet lined with non stick paper
1. Preheat the oven to 120C Fan
2. In a grease free bowl whisk together the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks.
3. Gradually add the caster sugar two tablespoons at a time, beating well between additions, until the mixture is thick and glossy and the sugar has dissolved
4. Add the vanilla and cornflour and whisk until combined
5. Take tablespoons of mixture and place on the prepared baking sheet in a circle, making sure the meringue joins up to form a complete circle. Swirl with a knife to improve shape. Make an indentation around the top with a palette knife. This will be for the cream at assembly.
6. Place in preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes, then turn the oven off and leave to cool completely in the oven.
7. To make the spiced oranges put the sugar, water and spices in a saucepan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Bring up to a simmer and add the sliced oranges. Simmer for 2 - 3 minutes until the peel has softened but the flesh has not disintegrated. Set aside to cool. When cool remove the slices to baking paper to drain. Reserve syrup.
8. Heat 50g of raspberries until juices begin to flow. Drain off the juice but try not to squash the fruit as it will make the juice go cloudy. Add to the reserved syrup and simmer for 1 minute until the syrup has thickened slightly. Set aside to cool completely.
9. Whip the cream with the vanilla and 2-3 tbs of caster sugar until it holds its shape.
10. To assemble put the meringue on a nice plate or board, spread the cream in the ridge on the top and decorate with orange segments, raspberries, spiced orange slices and bay leaves.
11. Drizzle over the raspberry and orange spiced syrup.