Updated: Feb 2, 2021
Serves: 10 -12
Time: 1 ½ - 2 hours
Equipment: 2 x 20cm (8") sponge tin greased and base lined
For the cake:
250g Full fat Greek style yoghurt
3 Large eggs
120g Vegetable oil
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 tbs Coffee granules dissolved in 2 tbs hot water
120g Dark chocolate, melted
60g Cocoa powder
165g Self raising flour
2 tsp Baking powder
150g Caster sugar
½ tsp Salt
For the ganache
200ml Dark/plain chocolate
200ml Double cream
50g Salted butter
For the blueberry layer
150g Fresh blueberries
150g Caster sugar (or granulated)
1 tsp Lemon juice
You will need 2 x 20cm (8”) sponge tins, greased and based lined
1. Preheat the oven to 160C (320F) Fan/180C (350F) conventional
2. In a large bowl whisk together the yoghurt, eggs, vegetable oil, vanilla, coffee and melted dark chocolate. NOTE you do not need an electric whisk for this a hand whisk will do.
3. Sift together the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt and stir into the wet ingredients until completely combined.
4. Divide equally between the two prepared tins and bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until a cocktail stick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside to cool.
5. Make the ganache by placing the broken up chocolate and butter into a bowl.
6. Heat the cream until nearly boiling then pour over the chocolate, leave for 2 – 3 minutes for the cream to soften the chocolate then stir until completely smooth. Set aside to firm up a little. If you are in a hurry pop it into the fridge.
7. Make the blueberry jam by placing all the ingredients into a small saucepan and heat gently, stirring frequently, until all the sugar has dissolved and the mixture starts to simmer. Cook for 5 – 6 minutes then remove from the heat and tip the jam into a bowl to cool.
8. To assemble, place one of the cakes, upside down on a plate, cover the top of it with half of the chocolate ganache.
9. Spread the cold blueberry mixture over the top of the ganache then add the second layer of cake.
10. Spread the remaining ganache over the top in swirls.
11. You could add sprinkles, more berries or a grating of chocolate but I think it looks great just as it is. Perfect for Mothers Day or any celebration.